Revelation 16:9 “They were scorched by the fierce heat, and they cursed the name of God who had power over these plagues. They did not repent and give him glory.”
- ‘Biblical’ swarms of giant Mormon crickets destroying crops in US West
- The insects prefer both hotter temperatures and droughts
- In the past few years the crickets, in addition to grasshoppers, have destroyed swathes of crops as officials spend millions trying to control the swarms
- One rancher told AP that the swarms have been “truly biblical.”
- As they march across the country, the insects devour vegetation, damaging crops and even changing patterns of erosion, water runoff and nutrient cycling, says USDA. Last year, 10 million acres in Oregon — which has been especially hard-hit by the species — were destroyed by Mormon crickets and grasshoppers.
- The US West is currently in the midst of a decades-long “megadrought”
- These dry conditions are expected to get worse overall as the climate crisis deepens.
Read the original article by clicking here.